Sunday, May 10, 2009

Yemi sax set to blast in U.S
SAXOPHONE whiz kid Yemi Sax is among other Nigerian artistes billed to attend the Nigeria Entertainment Award scheduled to hold in Washington DC, United States, on June 5.Yemi Sax who was visibly excited about the prospect of his first international experience after thrilling Nigerians for a couple of years with his unique brand of 'Afro hip jazz', He said the oncoming trip would afford him the opportunity to share ideas with other artistes from other parts of the world. Asked about his latest album, the saxophonist said it was doing well in the market and he was not bothered at all about the upsurge of new artistes who have decided to do jazz remixes of popular songs by Nigerian artistes, a trend Yemi Sax popularized. “I am happy that other artistes have decided to join me in doing jazz remixes of songs by Nigerian artistes, I started the trend and I give God the glory. However, the sky is big enough for all birds that is why I really feel no fuss about other artistes in my genre. Collectively, we will make our special genre more popular. We will also collectively now fight for the rights of instrumentalists in the industry.“Many people believe that if you are not a singer or a rap artiste, you won't make it in the sector, but at least with the way we are coming up, jazz artistes will now be a force to be reckoned with.”Yemi Sax, however, advised up and coming Afro hip jazz act to “always put their acts together. They really need to do their homework before coming out with anything because the world is watching. They should not be driven byCommerce in their quest for stardom. Yes, money is good, but you know how long it took me to release my first album. I had to build a career first, and now when the name Yemi Sax is mentioned, people say 'oh, that guy, I know him; he's been around for some time now. Meanwhile, professionally, I have not been around that long but because I have a professional management team that has helped me build my career, I have taken the right steps at the right time.” He will attempt to popularize Afro hip jazz in America. “My jazz is different, it is unique. It is jazz music in another African style, this is the selling point of this blend of music and this is what I am taking with me to the U.S. I will also take a little that I can from the artistes I will interact with over there.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

default HTML tags